The Bulgarian Center for Not-for-Profit Law (BCNL) was founded in July 2001 and is incorporated as a public-benefit foundation in the Central Register at the Ministry of Justice.
BCNL’s mission is to provide support for the drafting and implementation of legislation and policies aiming to advance civil society, civil participation and good governance in Bulgaria.
BCNL pursues its mission with the strong belief that the improvement of the NGO legal framework is instrumental for the creation of an independent and prosperous civil society.
BCNL operates in close partnership with the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL), based on an Affiliation Agreement. Our organization has access to ICNL’s rich documentary archives where information about national legislations and studies on NGOs from more than 115 countries worldwide is stored. BCNL is a founder and partner of the European Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ECNL) seated in Budapest.
We work with highly-qualified consultants and keep in touch with experts in all fields related to NGO development.
Our main goals include: support for the development and establishment of a favorable legal and policy environment conducive to an independent civil society, including Bulgarian NGOs; facilitate an improved cooperation between the state and the NGOs and the actual and active civil participation in decision making processes.
BCNL’s main activities include:
• Legislative initiatives, advocacy campaigns and provision of technical assistance to NGOs and institutions for drafting and implementing legislation;
• Enhance the capacity of NGOs on issues related to the legislation regulating their activities, advocacy and good governance;
• Provide legal support to NGOs through consultations on the legal and tax framework of the activities of foundations and associations;
• Conduct legal studies, analyses and research on topics related to the legal regulation and the activities of NGOs, draw up strategies and organization development plans;
• Organize trainings on topics like the legal regulation and the activities of NGOs, good governance, provision of social services, advocacy, etc.