For a ninth year in a row the “Best Business Plan of a NGO” Competition is being organized as a part of the “Entrepreneurship for Non-Profit Organizations” 2019/2020 Program.
This year’s finalists are 10 NGOs and community centers (Chitalishte). With their entrepreneurial ideas, they will create products and services which will support in a very concrete and useful way the people and the environment they work with - children with disabilities, elderly people, refugees and migrants, and natural resources.
In the scope of the first phase of the Program, the organizations underwent several trainings and meetings with business experts in order to improve their business plans and presentation skills. And on February 21, business ideas with a cause will be presented to an well-regarded jury, which consists of representatives of socially responsible companies - program partners and business leaders.
The organizations and entrepreneurial ideas with the best score, in addition to financial support, will participate in Lab4e - a mentoring program for a successful start. This is the third phase of the Program, during which organizations receive additional support from business experts and entrepreneurs and launch their business ideas.
And here are those 10 organizations and their ideas:
1. Sports club Shark with their idea “ParaKids – Sportswear for Special Children” for manufacturing of sportswear for water sports and rehabilitation for children and young people with disabilities that are easy and convenient to use.
2. Foundation for Access to Rights – FAR with the idea of upgrading the Refugeelife.bg online platform for refugees by creating a segment for online paid legal services for refugees. This will allow the platform to sustain itself and be available in four languages, as well as vulnerable persons to receive free legal aid.
3. Caritas-Sofia Association with the idea of CaritArt for creating and offering products which are handmade by disadvantaged children and women, thus creating an opportunity for them to manage, together with volunteers, the activities and production of the CaritArt social enterprise.
4. Alliance of the Bulgarian Midwives Association with the business idea named “The Joy of birth – Mission of the Midwives’ Profession.” The book “The Experience of Childbirth” by Sheila Kitzinger will be printed and distributed by midwives who by relying on the knowledge in the book and their experience will support and consult mothers to be with the goal to encourage natural childbirth.
5. Nishan Association and their idea of creating assemblable toy and book in one called “Traditional Home” – 3D model of a traditional Bulgarian houses from the 19th century with information about crafts, customs and traditions in the respective ethnographic fields. In addition to traditional knowledge, the toy develops the fine motor skills and spatial thinking of children.
6. Association of Polar Early Career Scientists and their idea to create and sell an educational series of polar themed souvenirs „COOL ANTARCTICA” (T-shirts, glasses, cards, magnets, etc.) with educational information about Antarctica, the protection of the Ice Continent, and its significance for Earth.
7. Parallel World Association and their idea Mission Hope, in the scope of which they will develop a new production line to the social enterprise of the organization which produces reusable shopping bag. The models will be branded with prints of drawings by children and young people with disabilities.
8. CC “Hristo Botev - 1869” which will create a specialized catalog of classic models of Kalofer lace, made at the Creative Center of the Kalofer Lace at the Community Center in order to reach new audiences and potential customers of this unique traditional Bulgarian art.
9. CC “N. Y. Vaptsarov - 1927” with the idea of creating a creative workshop for the production of designers hand-knit garments by of elderly people from the village of Buta which will be sold in the larger cities.
10. Bulgarian Biodiversity Foundation with "SimBiotic – Experience the Atanasovsko Lake” - conducting events, creative workshops, educational seminars, exhibitions, concerts and screenings in the "simBiotic" space at the Atanasovsko Lake near Burgas.
The winners of the Competitions will be announced during the official Award Ceremony held on the 22nd of February at 16:00 o’clock in Serdika Center during the “A little Means a Lot” Bazar.
We wish luck to all!
The Competition and the Bazaar are part of “Entrepreneurship for Non-Profit Organizations” Program, which is supported by the America for Bulgaria Foundation in partnership with TELUS International Europe, UniCredit Bulbank and Accenture Bulgaria.